A car owner has a grace period of 30 days to renew an expired driving licence in case they have caused an accident so that insurance coverage would be provided to them, sources working in the insurance sector said, noting that failure to renew the licence would hold them responsible for the full cost of the accident.
According to the sources, the Central Bank of the UAE has made an amendment to the unified document, allowing a driver with expired driving licence who has caused an accident to renew it within a period of 30 days from the date of the accident so as to avail of the necessary insurance coverage.
On the other hand, Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has announced that people interested in getting a driving licence can now apply through the RTA website or visit the nearest centres.
The applicant must meet the criteria to get his details processed.
RTA said on Twitter, “Did you get the Golden Visa & want to get a driving license in #Dubai? Present your previous driving license approved in your country & issue a new one from RTA at the driving institutes after passing the knowledge & road tests without needed training.”
Individual customers, citizens and residents in Dubai, who are above the legal age and medically fit are eligible to apply for this service.
1. Original Emirates ID
For residents with visa issued in the other emirates
1. Copy of the tenancy agreement approved by ejari as a proof of residence
2. Copy of the company's trade licence (Dubai branch and the branch that issued the residency).
3. Letter from the company certifying that the customer works in Dubai
1. Copy of the diplomatic passport
2. Original Emirates ID, if any
3. A copy of the diplomatic card for embassies, consulates and international organisations instead of the Emirates ID
4. A copy of a letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs valid for at least 6 months from the date of submission
For Pregnant Women
1. Copy of a letter of approval from the doctor
For People of Determination
1. Copy of the certificate of transfer to the doctor issued by the Licensing Agency
Note: The customer should refer to Rashid Hospital for the medical test
For the Emirati passport holder who is without a family book (Marsoom holders)
1. Copy of the valid passport
2. Copy of the valid "Marsoom"
For Emirati passport holder who is the son of an Emirati woman
1. Copy of the birth certificate
2. Copy of the valid passport
3. Valid letter from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs stating that the customer's mother is Emirati
From golden residency holders who have a driver licence from their countries
1. A copy of the customer previous valid driving licence
2. Knowledge test and Road test results.
• Dhs100 for issuing a driving learning permit for the following categories: motorcycle - light vehicle - light automatic vehicle
• Dhs 200 for issuing a driving learning permit for the following categories: light bus - heavy bus - light equipment - heavy equipment - heavy vehicle
• Dhs 200 for opening a traffic file
• Dhs 50 for the handbook manual
• The electronic eye test at the Eye Test Centres: Dhs 140 minimum and Dhs 180 maximum
Driving licence fees
• Dhs 100 for issuing a new driving licence if the customer is younger than 21 years old
• Dhs 300 for issuing a new driving licence if the customer is 21 years old and above
• Dhs +20 Knowledge and Innovation fees
Adding a new category to the driving licence fees
• Dhs 200 new licence fees
• Dhs +20 Knowledge and Innovation fees.
• RTA Website: 5 minutes.
• Driving Institutes: 10 minutes.