The Dubai Metro began services eight years ago
The number of people who have used the Dubai Metro has crossed over a billion since the service launched eight years ago.
The metro has transported 1.028 billion riders between September 9, 2009 (when it launched services) until the end of August 2017, the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) said in a statement.
The Red Line of the Dubai Metro transported more than 689 million during the period, with numbers increasing from 38.887 million in 2010 to 60 million in 2011, 104 million in 2014, and 121 million in 2016.
The Union Station accounted for the largest number of users at 47.798 million, followed by Deira City Center Station, Burjuman Station and Al Rigga Station.
Meanwhile the Green Line – which began operations in 2011 – has transported about 339 million riders till date.
Users numbers rose from 37.576 million in 2012 to 48.872 million in 2013, 65.942 million riders in 2015 and 69.708 million in 2016.
Al Faheedi Station ranked first in terms of numbers of users (37.928 million), followed by Baniyas Station, Al Ghubaiba Station and Oud Metha Station.
“The RTA is moving ahead with its ambitious plan to revamp mass transit systems and raise the share of public transport in the people’s mobility to as much as 30 per cent by 2030,” said Mattar Al Al Tayer, director-general and chairman of the RTA.
“This rate reached 16 per cent in 2016, and it will rise to 24 per cent if we add taxis. Moreover, there is a remarkable evolution in the culture of the community and its perception of public transport means. The Metro has started to bring back several benefits to the community such as the psychological and physical relief associated with the smooth mobility, and the reduced expenditure on car fuel and maintenance,” he added.
The Dubai Metro, which extends 75km, is the world’s longest driverless metro line and its Union Station is considered the world’s biggest underground metro station spanning an area of 25,000 sqm.
Dubai Metro project
• July 2005: The design and construction contract of the Dubai Metro was awarded.
• March 21 2006: Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, inaugurated the construction works of the Dubai Metro in an official ceremony held in Jumeirah city, Dubai.
• July 29 2006: The casting of the first concrete pillar of the Dubai Metro viaduct between the sixth and seventh interchanges on the Sheikh Zayed Road.
• January 10 2007: Sheikh Mohammed launched drilling of the tunnels of the Dubai Metro project.
• March 7 2008: The first batch of the Dubai Metro carriages, comprising of 10 coaches, arrived at Jebel Ali Port.
• September 20 2008: Sheikh Mohammed launched the technical trial run of the Dubai Metro Red Line.
• September 9 2009: The official operation of the Dubai Metro Red Line launched.
• October 13 2010: Sheikh Mohammed launched opened the official technical operation of the Dubai Metro Green Line
• September 9 2011: Official operation of the Dubai Metro Green line launched.